Deciding what to write for my first blog entry has proven a difficult task. Should I write of all the fabulous programs the Watertown Free Public Library offers? Do I make a call to the fine people of Watertown to continue to support their library in a way that is unrivaled by any other community I’ve seen? Do I highlight some of the lesser known services we provide? Do I invite those who don’t use the library to come check us out? Yes, all of those things and I’m going to do it in list form.
This list marks the beginning. From here on out I dedicate this blog to you, people of Watertown. For those who use the library, keep coming! For those who don’t, I will make a library user out of you yet! Here are all (well, many) of the reasons why you should love your library.
- Free internet access, computers, and printing
- You can check out new books, DVDs, Blu-rays, books on CD, PlayStation games, Wii games, NintendoDS games, puzzles, Lego Train, board games, music CDs, ereaders, ebooks, magazines, laptops, and a bag with which you can carry home your items
- English classes with Project Literacy
- Computer classes
- One to one technology help sessions
- Children’s programs like story times, sing a longs, crafting, science experiments, and Lego Club
- Teen programs like movie nights, crafting, creative writing, Magic the Gathering Brawls, and gaming
- General programs for adults like One Book One Watertown, concert series, movie nights, cooking demonstrations, and book groups
- Museum Passes
- Study space
- Local History collection and librarian
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff
- Red Leaf Café (a café in the library!)
- Our hours (we are open until 7 on Fridays. That’s 7 p.m.!)
- A beautiful building that meshes old architecture with new
- State of the art technology
- Community space to gather
- Gallery space to display artwork
Of course, there is more to this list. I will write about the more in my next post. If you’d like to do some research on your own in the meantime, check out the WFPL website.