Invite a friend
Book Discussion: Twelve Days in Viet Nam: The Life and Death of Nicholas Conaxis".
Please join long-time Watertown activist and community leaders, Alex Liazos in a discussion of his new book, "Twelve Days in Viet Nam: The Life and Death of NIcholas Conaxis".
The program will take place on Wednesday, February 6 from 7 PM to 9 PM at the Watertown Free Public Library.
For more information or to learn how to purchase the book, please contact Alex at 781-899-0572.
Nicholas Conaxis was twenty when he was killed in Vietnam on May 5, 1968. He had led a difficult life. Deprived of parents at the age of one, he lived in foster homes for the next thirteen years, and for four > more years he lived in a group home for teenage boys. He was funny, sensitive, friendly, and mischievous, all while he endured anxiety and insecurity for his entire life.
Drafted by the army in 1967, he wrote many sensitive letters during military training, criticizing military life, the war, and social conformity. He read widely as he explored values and philosophies of the 1960s. His letters from Vietnam showed concern for the Vietnamese people, the children, and the land around him.
More About Watertown Free Public Library
The brick library building on Main Street dates back to 1884, and in 2006 the expanded facility opened. Two computer rooms, one for adults and one for children, are available free of charge. The library has numerous programs, including story time in both English and Spanish, adult book clubs, computer classes and movies. Patrons can also enjoy coffee and a snack at The Cafe. Meeting rooms at the library can be reserved by residents.
Other events here
- Life Friendly Garden Tour Tomorrow, May 19, 12:30 pm–5:00 pm
- 123 Sign with Me May 6, 2013 / May 13, 2013 / May 20, 2013, 3:30 pm
- Rep. Jonathan Hecht Office Hours Mon, May 20, 5:00 pm–6:00 pm
- Lego Club Wed, May 22, 2:30 pm
- College Admissions Help Sessions May 22, 2013 / May 29, 2013, 6:30 pm
- Free Movie: Gen Silent Thu, May 23, 6:30 pm
- Dog B.O.N.E.S. Fri, May 24, 3:00 pm
- Dog B.O.N.E.S. Sat, May 25, 2:00 pm
- Free Citizenship Class May 28, 2013 / May 30, 2013 / June 4, 2013 / June 6, 2013 / June 11, 2013 / June 13, 2013 / June 18, 2013 / June 20, 2013 / June 25, 2013 / June 27, 2013, 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Sen. Brownsberger Office Hours at Watertown Free Public Library February 2, 2013 / April 6, 2013 / June 1, 2013 / August 3, 2013 / October 5, 2013 / December 7, 2013, 12:30 pm–1:30 pm