On behalf of the entire Watertown Education Foundation Board (“WEF”) I would like to extend heartfelt thanks to all the Watertown students who participated in ; the “B.” The success of this great day is a tribute to our students, families, school & town officials, sponsors and all volunteers who gave their time and efforts selflessly.
With a record breaking 275 participants who took part in this day-long event, which grew from 60 spellers in 2011, the excitement has already begun in what will become a much anticipated and favorite occurrence in the future.
The second Annual Bee has raised just over $15,000 with all monies raised from registrations, tee-shirt and raffle sales going directly to fund the WEF Teacher Grant program. This community outreach program gives directly back to Watertown public school teachers and ultimately the students – our children. This past December, $24,000 was awarded to teachers at the Cunniff, Lowell, Hosmer, Middle School and High School to fund a variety of innovative and creative educational initiatives and programs.
Because of the fiscally challenging constraints in the town’s operating budget, Watertown’s school budget is unable to fund any new initiatives. This Teacher Grant Program is designed solely to benefit teacher and students, fund pilot programs, provide supplies and meet fundamental needs.
We acknowledge with grateful appreciation the dedication of our parents, volunteers and the unity of our great community for making this event a success. We welcome all to participate in our future endeavors and we encourage our teachers to join our community outreach efforts.
For information about the Teacher Grant program, past recipients or our next fundraiser – Trivia Night on March 28, 2012-- please visit our website: www.watertowned.org
President, Watertown Education Foundation
Below is a list of the schools and classrooms that received grant funding from the Watertown Education Foundation for the 2011-2012 school year. Please don’t hesitate to contact us via email at email@example.com should you wish for any further information regarding our efforts within the Watertown Public Schools.
2011-2012: Grants Awarded
- Hosmer Elementary School-Cindy Keller Fourth Grade-Parent/Child Book club
- Watertown High School-Leandra Elion Reading Specialist-Adolescent Literacy Engagement
- Lowell Elementary School- Adam Vachon 4/5 Grade-Lowell Times School Newspaper
- Lowell/Hosmer/Cunniff Elementary Schools-Anna Lochiatto-Art -Famous Five Artists Series
- Cunniff Elementary School- Julie Erwin Fifth Grade-Geology Rock Detectives
- Watertown Family Network-Arlene Smith-Let’s Make Saturday’s Count
- Watertown Middle School-Tom Johnson-PE Fitness Technology Integration Project
- Hosmer Elementary School- Trish Mcisaac First Grade-Differentiated Math Instruction
- Lowell Elementary School-Dotty Buonomo Second Grade-Sharing Our Planet: Animal Habitats
- Hosmer Elementary School- Anne Hardiman Principal-Picture Writing
- Early Steps Integrated Preschool- Caroline LaBella-Enhancing OWL Curriculum
- Cunniff Elementary School- Christine Rono Second Grade-Giant Map Rental
- Watertown Middle School- Kerri Lorigan Seventh Grade-Edventure
- Watertown Middle School- Lisa P. McDonagh-Project “Great Reads”