.

Plumber's Torch Ignited Watertown House Fire; One Firefighter Treated at Hospital

One firefighter went to the hospital for treatment in the fire on Madison Avenue that began in the attic.

A plumber's torch ignited the two-alarm fire that destroyed the roof and other parts of a two-family home on Madison Avenue Tuesday, according to a Watertown Fire official.

When the fire began, a plumber was working on a bathroom in the home at 17-19 Madison Avenue, said Deputy Fire Chief Thomas McManus.

"A pipe chase that was common to bathrooms in both units leads up to the attic," McManus said. "Either an ember or the copper pipes conducted heat and ignited combustible material in the wall and (the fire) spread to the attic."

All three residents of the two sections of the home, their three dogs and the plumber all escaped without injury, McManus said. The owner, however, did not know about the fire until a neighbor alerted him.

During the fire, one Watertown Firefighter suffered heat exhaustion had to be taken to hospital, McManus said.

"He recovered and has been release," McManus said.

The roof and some of the rafters on the second floor of the home will have to be replaced, McManus said. The house also suffered watter damage.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something