SOUND OFF: Should Rapist Get Parental Rights to Child that Resulted from Raping Underage Girl?

An admitted rapist in Massachusetts reportedly is seeking visitation rights to the child he fathered after the crime. What do you think?


A legal battle reportedly is taking shape in Massachusetts over the question: should a rapist have the legal right to visit the child that resulted from the rape?

FoxNews reports that an admitted Massachusetts rapist is seeking such visitation rights.

The girl was a 14-year old eighth-grader when it happened, says Fox; the man was a 20-year old the girl knew from church.

She and her mother pressed charges, but the girl decided to keep the baby.

Last year, the man pleaded guilty in Norfolk Superior Court to four counts of statutory rape of a child. 

But here's the rub: FoxNews says the prosecutor asked for a prison sentence of three-to-five years, but a Superior Court judge instead sentenced him to 16 years probation — with the requirement that he acknowledge paternity and abide by the probate and family court.

The probate court ordered him to pay child support, which paved the way for him to ask for visitation rights.

The girl's lawyer wants the court to change the man's sentence to make him pay for the child he fathered, but not give him any parental rights.

What do you think?

Thomas Mac September 26, 2012 at 03:56 PM
yous cant be consensual @14 yrs old in Ma.
Marcia R Sullivan September 26, 2012 at 07:20 PM
NO! NO! NO! The child will have sufficient impediments to a normal, full life because of the circumstances of the birth. Let him/her enjoy as much normallcy as possible without having to deal with a father who could only embarrass the child and further stigmatize him/her.
Catherine Lichoulas September 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I can't believe this is actually being considered... he is a violent criminal and should be in jail. NO way should he have any rights! Catherine
danielle September 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Statutory RAPE does not imply consent in EVERY case nor does it imply consent in any case. Look up the true and legal definition. Just because you pay child support does not entitle you to visitation rights. He should be in jail. I hope she is able to get the restraining order and if the child wishes to see the father when there 18. That is there choice.
deborah leehan September 27, 2012 at 01:27 PM
I agree with everyone except Dennis! No way should this rapist be allowed to ever see the child he produced (unless the child looks him up after turning 18). He is lucky to not be in jail and should pay the child support as restitution.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »