The other day, some one at work told me they found my blog, and asked for a recommendation of my top 10 diners in the Watertown/Belmont/Cambridge area. "Well, this is a perfect set-up for a Patch blog" I thought. And here we are...
In no particular order, these are diners I love in our area. And since this is my post, I reserve the right to use diner in whatever interpretation I like (think of that as a disclaimer). Happy greasy spooning!
- , 106 Main Street, Watertown - Not technically a diner, but close enough. Always consistent and delicious, and it is run by a nice local family.
- Aram's, 85 Trapelo Road, Belmont - To really enjoy this place you have to sit at the counter and chat with Aram while he cooks.
- Wilson's Diner, 507 Main Street, Waltham - I love the feel of this place. This is definitely a true diner. Once again, the owner is at the grill...I think that may be a theme with my favorites....
- , 212 N Beacon Street, Watertown - This diner has a menu the length of a dictionary, complete with standard diner fare and crazy concoctions.
- Rosebud Diner, 381 Summer Street, Davis Square - This place just oozes of being a Cambridge institution. You just have to try it to be a true diner diner.
- , 385 Main Street, Watertown - Again, not technically a diner, but it deserves to be on the list. It is tiny, and they bake their own bread. Enough said.
- , 247 Belmont Street, Belmont - This place is fun. You think it is just amazing homemade donuts, but then you walk in and find five small tables of people enjoying what looks like an amazing diner breakfast.
- Sound Bites, 704 Broadway, Somerville - For some reason, the fix-your-own coffee and beverage bar make this place so great. Other things that make it great, a fruit plate starter for everyone, and amazingly creative (and huge) breakfast selections.
- Sofra, One Belmont Street, Cambridge - I guess Sofra could be considered a new-age diner of sorts. An Anna Sortun venture, this Middle Eastern eatery will have your tastebuds flailing for more. The egg sandwich with haloumi and feta butter is something everyone should experience once.
- Deluxe Town Diner, 627 Mount Auburn Street, Watertown - I wasn't going to include Deluxe, but some people think it is the gold star of diners. Sure, the ambiance is gold star, and the menu is huge. I also give bonus points for turkey bacon and sausage as a choice. But this diner really has never wowed me like the others on this list. But I couldn't leave you hanging with just 9 diners, could I...
Now it's your turn readers. Tell me what diners I missed, and which ones I am crazy for including in my top 10.