Thursday, May 2, 2013
The fire is at a Belmont Street home.
Watertown firefighters are responding to reports of a fully involved house fire at 294 Belmont St., according to Twitter traffic. According to various tweets, the home is a 2.5 story woodframe dwelling and firefighters have struck a third alarm. Stay tuned to Watertown Patch for additional updates as they become available.
Thursday, January 3, 2013
The Fire Department determined the cause of the blaze that started in a Howard Street home on Dec. 27.
A faulty space heater sparked a blaze that damaged a mattress in a Howard Street home last week. The fire started at 4:42 p.m. on Dec. 27, said Watertown Police Lt. Michael Lawn. "The Fire Department responded to a fire on the second floor of a home on Howard Street and found a mattress on fire," Lawn said. "The fire was extinguished and it was caused by a faulty space heater." The mattress was dragged out of the home and fire did not significant damage to the rest of the home.
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Oily rags ignited in the back of East Side Wings and Grill, but did little damage to the Mt. Auburn Street eatery.
A fire that ignited in a pile of oily rags at East Side Wings and Grill caused a lot of smoke, but could have been much worse, said a Watertown Fire official. At about 9 a.m. on Sept. 26, a nearby business owner spotted smoke inside the eatery at 613 Mt. Auburn Street and called the fire department. Firefighters discovered smoking coming from a bathroom where a bag of oily rags appeared to have spontaneously ignited, said Watertown Deputy Fire Chief Thomas McManus. "The rags were in a bag hanging in a bathroom. They burned through the bag and dropped down and scorched the floor," McManus said. "They only reason why there was no further damage was there was no nearby combustible material. If there were (flammable materials) it could have …
Monday, January 3, 2011
Pedestrian was struck by a car on Main Street just before 11 a.m. Monday
A woman crossing Main Street between the Waterown Free Public Library and the Watertown Post Office was struck by a car Monday just before 11 a.m. The woman, described by witnesses as being in her 40s, was hit in the crosswalk, said Larry Cannon, who was headed to the post office. "When I walked up she was lying in the crosswalk," Cannon said. James Perry, a 15-year old from Waltham, said he ran from H&K Insurance, just down Main Street. "I am trained in CPR from the Boy Scouts," Perry said. A rescue unit from the Belmont Fire Department responded to the scene along with an Armstrong Ambulance. The Watertown ambulance had responded to a serious incident at Lexus of Watertown involving an employee, said Fire Capt. Tom Walsh. Due to HIIPA …