Wednesday, April 17, 2013
The fire gutted Guys Salon in February but the business is up and running just down the street.
A month and a half ago Melanie Guarino stood in a smoke-filled street watching her business go up in flames, but these days she is back in business just down Main Street. With tears streaming down her face, Guarino said she was determined to get her business started again. "I was sitting there thinking thinking 'What am I going to do tomorrow,'" Guarino said. "It goes to show you have to live every day to the fullest." The next day she headed to the hair supply shop and bought a pair of scissors and clippers, because everything else was gone. She and her co-worker Patty Maher did some house calls, but they needed a place to set up shop. "A lot of local salons wrote to us when they heard and offered space," Guarino said. "But we have a …
Saturday, April 6, 2013
Inner Strength Studios has been rebuilt and is ready to reopen.
Six weeks ago, Felicia Lorelli got a phone call that all business manages dread – your business is on fire! Now they are ready to rise from the ashes and reopen on Saturday, April. 6. Inner Strength Studios occupies one of the spaces in the building on Main Street hit by a three-alarm fire on Feb. 26. The yoga studio fared better than the other three businesses in the building Lorelli. Inner Strength suffered smoke damage, but the flames did not touch it. “It was definitely a relief that the fire didn’t burn our area,” Lorelli said. Inner Strength still suffered its share of damage from the fire. “The Fire Department broke out our windows and our front door, and they tore down some of the ceiling to make sure the flames had not spread…
Thursday, February 28, 2013
Fire investigators spent most of Wednesday looking at the building on Main Street.
Tuesday's three-alarm fire started with either a faulty extension cord or from a water cooler plugged into the cord, Watertown Fire officials said. The fire started with the faulty cord in Lony Nail Salon, went into the basement before ending up in the ceiling where it was trapped for some time before bursting into heavy flames, said Capt. Stephen Igoe, fire inspector for the Watertown Fire Department. "It seems like it was in the nail shop," Igoe said. "An extension cord had been cut or shorted out. Or, the bubbler that was plugged into it did. It was accidental." The fire was first reported by a tow truck driver who spotted some smoke coming from the building at 309-315 Main Street, just west of Watertown Square. When firefighters …
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
The fire Tuesday night gutted businesses on Main Street near Watertown Square.
Flames shot out of the roof of a commercial building on Main Street in Watertown for more than an hour Tuesday night. A third alarm was called and at some points three ladder trucks and other firefighters on the ground blasted the fire with water. One firefighter was injured during the blaze when an explosion knocked him over. See more about the fire here. Get the latest headlines in your email each morning in the free Watertown Patch Newsletter. Subscribe by clicking here.