The Fire Department determined the cause of the blaze that started in a Howard Street home on Dec. 27.
A faulty space heater sparked a blaze that damaged a mattress in a Howard Street home last week. The fire started at 4:42 p.m. on Dec. 27, said Watertown Police Lt. Michael Lawn. "The Fire Department responded to a fire on the second floor of a home on Howard Street and found a mattress on fire," Lawn said. "The fire was extinguished and it was caused by a faulty space heater." The mattress was dragged out of the home and fire did not significant damage to the rest of the home.
The Fire Department were called for a fire in the bedroom of the home.
Firefighters put out a mattress that had caught fire in the bedroom of a home on Howard Street in Watertown. According to scanner reports, the fire department arrived at about 4:45 p.m. Thursday at the home and went into the upstairs bedroom and doused the flames. The carried a hose with them but did not have water running in the line, according to the scanner. They dragged the mattress out of the house and left it outside. As of 5:05 p.m., firefighters remain at the home to do a medical evaluation of the residents of the home and make sure the flames have not spread.