Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Garbage ignited in the back of the truck.
A garbage truck driver got a surprise while doing his route this morning when he saw smoke coming from the back of the truck. The driver headed to the nearest fire station to have the fire doused, said Watertown Deputy Fire Chief Daniel Tardiff. "He pulled up in front of Station 3 on Orchard Street and we put the fire out," Tardiff said. The truck arrived at the fire station at about 8:10 a.m. Wednesday, and the fire was out in just a few minutes. What started the fire is not clear, Tardiff said. "We are not sure what started the fire," Tardiff said. "On his route (the driver) picked up something that was on fire." Tardiff said residents should be careful when throwing out coals, charred wood and other things that have been on fire. "When…
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
The worker fell about 25 feet off of a home on Charles River Road.
A man who fell off the roof of a home on Charles River Road was taken to hospital today. The 46-year-old man had been working on the home at 1:35 p.m. when he fell about 25 feet, said Watertown Police Lt. Michael Lawn. An ambulance took the man to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Police did not have his condition, but he reportedly was conscious at the scene.
Thursday, January 3, 2013
The Fire Department determined the cause of the blaze that started in a Howard Street home on Dec. 27.
A faulty space heater sparked a blaze that damaged a mattress in a Howard Street home last week. The fire started at 4:42 p.m. on Dec. 27, said Watertown Police Lt. Michael Lawn. "The Fire Department responded to a fire on the second floor of a home on Howard Street and found a mattress on fire," Lawn said. "The fire was extinguished and it was caused by a faulty space heater." The mattress was dragged out of the home and fire did not significant damage to the rest of the home.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
The Fire Department were called for a fire in the bedroom of the home.
Firefighters put out a mattress that had caught fire in the bedroom of a home on Howard Street in Watertown. According to scanner reports, the fire department arrived at about 4:45 p.m. Thursday at the home and went into the upstairs bedroom and doused the flames. The carried a hose with them but did not have water running in the line, according to the scanner. They dragged the mattress out of the house and left it outside. As of 5:05 p.m., firefighters remain at the home to do a medical evaluation of the residents of the home and make sure the flames have not spread.
Watertown had its share of big crimes and blazes to fight this year. See which ones made the top five.
Watertown police officers and firefighters had a busy 2012, with their share of major crimes and multi-alarm blazes. Here are the top ones of the year. 1. Three teens robbed a boy walking through Linear Park - the path between the library and Waverley Avenue - in July. Police arrested the trio and charged them for the unarmed robbery. 2. A home on Madison Avenue went up in flames, destroying a two-family home in September. Watertown firefighters fought the two-alarm blaze, which started when a plumber was working on the home. 3. Police tracked down a couple from Waltham who teamed up to rob the Citizens Bank branch in Stop & Shop on Pleasant Street in December when a witness saw the man jump into the trunk of the car driven by the woman…
Thursday, November 15, 2012
A short circuit in the condensor on a furnace ignited debris in the basement of the home on Orchard Street, causing a two-alarm fire.
A two-alarm fire that heavily damaged the basement of a two-family home on Orchard Street was caused by a condensation pump on a furnace, said Watertown Deputy Fire Chief Tom McManus. The fire, which struck on Nov. 10, started when a the condensation pump short circuited and lit flammable items in the basement. "There was possibly a short circuit with the condensation pump to the furnace," McManus said. "Some debris near it may have ignited." McManus said. Most of the fire was contained to the basement, but flames did damage the first floor of the house at 81 Orchard St. The rest of the house suffered smoke and water damage. None of the residents were hurt in the fire, but a pet cat died from smoke inhalation. Other pets in the house, …
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
A Hillside Road resident noticed her home had been struck by lightning, but it did not cause a fire.
A Hillside Road resident noticed her home was struck during a brief but heavy thunderstorm that rolled through Watertown in the early hours of Oct. 20. Watertown Firefighters had responded to another call on the street when they were approached by a resident who said her house had been hit by lightning at 3:44 a.m. "The crews investigated the residence and found evidence of charring on the third floor where a decorative piece of plastic covering some wires had been blown off," the fire report reads. Firefighters examined the home, looked in crawl spaces to see if any burning, heat or charring could be detected, but none was found, according to the report. The strike did trip the home's circuit breaker. The Fire Department shut down fire…
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Daron J. D'Agostino and Jeffrey M. McNamara recently completed the course at the academy in Stow.
- POLICE & FIRE
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Two members of the Watertown Fire Department graduated in the most recent Massachusetts Firefighting Academy class, announced Watertown Fire Chief Mario Orangio. Daron J. D'Agostino and Jeffrey M. McNamara were among the 66 graduates from the academy in Stow. Fire Marshal Stephen Coan sent out the following release: State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan and Massachusetts Firefighting Academy Director Edmund M. Walker are pleased to announce the graduation of the 196th class of the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy's sixty-day Recruit Firefighting Program on Sept. 28 2012. "This rigorous professional training provides our newest firefighters with the basic skills to perform their jobs effectively and safely," Coan said. The Massachusetts …
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Check out these fire safety tips for kids and families!
- THE NEIGHBORHOOD FILES
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
October 7-13, 2012, is National Fire Prevention Week. National Fire Prevention Week is an annual public awareness campaign to promote fire safety throughout the U.S. This year’s theme is “Have 2 Ways Out!” which focuses on the importance of fire escape planning and practice. Created and sponsored by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the goal of National Fire Prevention Week is to educate families on what causes home fires, how to prevent them, and what to do in an emergency situation. NFPA has been the official sponsor of this campaign since 1922, making it the longest running public health and safety observance on record. “National Fire Prevention Week is critical in educating the public about the dangers of fire and how to…
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Oily rags ignited in the back of East Side Wings and Grill, but did little damage to the Mt. Auburn Street eatery.
A fire that ignited in a pile of oily rags at East Side Wings and Grill caused a lot of smoke, but could have been much worse, said a Watertown Fire official. At about 9 a.m. on Sept. 26, a nearby business owner spotted smoke inside the eatery at 613 Mt. Auburn Street and called the fire department. Firefighters discovered smoking coming from a bathroom where a bag of oily rags appeared to have spontaneously ignited, said Watertown Deputy Fire Chief Thomas McManus. "The rags were in a bag hanging in a bathroom. They burned through the bag and dropped down and scorched the floor," McManus said. "They only reason why there was no further damage was there was no nearby combustible material. If there were (flammable materials) it could have …